The British provincial stronghold, Fort Metal Cross (initially Dixcove Fort) is situated on a projection close to the angling town of Infuma, in Dixcove (Dick’s Cove) in the Western Region of Ghana. The inlet’s tranquil waters are reasonable for little vessels and kayaks; huge boats stay around 2 kilometers seaward.
For the British, the thought process in starting development of Dixcove Fort in 1692 was indistinguishable from that of the Dutch in structure Fort Batentstein – to take advantage of the guarantee of gold in the hinterland; and furthermore to win back the numerous English skippers exchanging at the Brandenburgers’ (Germans’) Fort Gross Friedrichsburg in close-by Princetown. Be that as it may, the general population of Infuma, faithful to two bosses whose devotions influenced between the British and Dutch, attacked the fortress a few times, in the interest of the Dutch, slowing down its consummation. By 1750, the fort was prepared to convey up to 25 canons.
The guarantee of gold never appeared, as the gold that was mined was to a great extent sullied gold. Subsequently, the fortification earned the title of ‘the phony mint of the Gold Coast’ by creator Bosman. Like Fort Batentstein, Fort Metal Cross turned into an administration station for the fix of boats and the supply of timber from the encompassing woods; and during the slave exchange, it turned into a slave jail.
The 1867 fortress trade understanding between the British and Dutch brought about Dutch responsibility for the fort in 1868. The Dutch needed to call for military support to reestablish quiet in their new regions of control, as the neighborhood masses was incensed by the swap, particularly since they had not been counseled. The name of the fort was changed to ‘Metalen Kruis’ (Metal Cross), after one of the Dutch weapon pontoons which brought the support.
In any case, the gigantic expense of control induced the Dutch to offer their fort to the British. Henceforth, in 1872 the fort returned to the British, who renamed it Fort Metal Cross