Why Brian Flores Suing NFL? Brian Flores who is the former Miami Dolphins head coach is suing the NFL, the New York Giants, the Dolphins, and Denver Broncos for racial discrimination.
Brian Flores suing comes after he was fired during the offseason and since then he has been granting interviews for several open positions.
The lawsuit filed states that the league “remains rife with racism” and that “in certain critical ways, the NFL is racially segregated and is managed much like a plantation.” It points out that none of the 32 NFL owners are black and that they profit from the labor of players, 70% of whom are Black. Flores said he is deciding to stand up for himself, and he hopes others join him.
“God has gifted me with a special talent to coach the game of football, but the need for change is bigger than my personal goals,” Flores said regarding the lawsuit in a release, per NFL Media’s Mike Giardi. “In making the decision to file the class action complaint today, I understand that I may be risking coaching the game that I love and that has done so much for my family and me. My sincere hope is that by standing up against systemic racism in the NFL, others will join me to ensure that positive change is made for generations to come.”
However, all the three mentioned in the lawsuit have reacted to the claim with a statement. Let’s look at what NFL, Giants, Dolphins, And Broncos have to say;
Below is NFL response regarding Brian Flores’ lawsuit, According to NFL Flores claims are “without merit:”
“The NFL and our clubs are deeply committed to ensuring equitable employment practices and continue to make progress in providing equitable opportunities throughout our organizations. Diversity is core to everything we do, and there are few issues on which our clubs and our internal leadership team spend more time. We will defend against these claims, which are without merit.”
The Giants Responds
Well, the Giants has also released a statement following being named in the lawsuit, via ESPN’s Jordan Raanan:
“We are pleased and confident with the process that resulted in the hiring of Brian Daboll. We interviewed an impressive and diverse group of candidates. The fact of the matter is, Brian Flores was in the conversation to be our head coach until the eleventh hour. Ultimately, we hired the individual we felt was most qualified to be our next head coach.”
The Broncos responds
The Broncos then released a statement regarding their past interview with Flores, via ESPN’s Adam Schefter:
“The allegations from Brian Flores directed toward the Denver Broncos in today’s court filing are blatantly false. Our interview with Mr. Flores regarding our head coaching position began promptly at the scheduled time of 7:30 a.m. on Jan. 5, 2019, in a Providence, R.I., hotel. There were five Broncos executives present for the interview, which lasted approximately three-and-a-half hours — the fully allotted time — and concluded shortly before 11 a.m. Pages of detailed notes, analysis and evaluations from our interview demonstrate the depth of our conversation and sincere interest in Mr. Flores as a head coaching candidate. Our process was thorough and fair to determine the most qualified candidate for our head coaching position. The Broncos will vigorously defend the integrity and values of our organization — and its employees — from such baseless and disparaging claims.”