John Mahama, in full John Dramani Mahama, (born November 29, 1958, Damongo, Ghana), Ghanaian politician who became vice president of Ghana in 2009. After the death of Pres. John Evans Atta Mills in July 2012, Mahama rose to the presidency. He was elected president later that year and served until 2017.
Biography of John Dramani Mahama
- Name: John Dramani Mahama
- Date of Birth: November 29, 1958
- Age: 62 Years
- Born In: Damongo
- Famous As: President Of Ghana
- John Mahama Net worth 2021: $900million
The notable leader of Ghana, John Dramani Mahama. He belongs to a family that has long been linked to the politics of the country. His father has been the first MP in his constituency, and since childhood, Dramani has been well acquainted with politics.
As he grew up, he advanced his family’s political tradition and became a renowned leader. Before he attained the role of President of his country, he was appointed to numerous offices in the Ghana government.
In fact, before his appointment as President, he was the first president to be elected to nearly all the levels of government.
His leadership talents helped him gain several different positions and he demonstrated his skills in these positions in the greatest way possible. Its administration has led and continues to lead its country to progress.
This leader is interested in the environment, in particular the wide usage of plastics and pollution-creating garbage. He also writes a variety of articles and columns to express his opinions.
He also wrote a book named ‘My First Coup d’État and Other True Stories from the Lost Decades of Africa’.
Childhood & early life of John Dramani Mahama
- He was born in the political family of the western district of Gonja in Damongo on 29 November 1958. His father was a parliamentarian from the Western Gonja constituency, Emmanuel Adama Mahama.
- Dramani was educated mostly at the ‘Achimota School,’ and subsequently entered the ‘Ghana Secondary School.’ He graduated from the University of Ghana, Legon in 1981 and obtained a postgraduate degree in communication studies after 5 years.
- This leader first worked as a teacher and imparted lessons on history to students of secondary level for a few years, after completing his graduation.
- He then went to Moscow, where he completed his post-graduation from the ‘Institute of Social Sciences’, with a specialization in social psychology, in the year 1988.
- During the period 1991-95, he was associated with the Japan embassy in Accra, the capital of Ghana, where he served as the Officer of Information, Culture and Research.
- In 1993, the ‘Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs’, Tokyo, conducted a training program for the Overseas Public Relations Staff and Dramani took part in this event.
- He also participated in the management development program conducted by the organization ‘Plan International’ in Nairobi, Kenya.
- From 1995 to 1996, he was the International Relations, Sponsorship Communication and Grants Manager for the anti-poverty NGO named ‘Plan International’ office in Ghana.
- In 1996, this president got his first exposure to politics after he was elected as a representative of Bole/Bamboi Constituency to the Parliament of Ghana for a term of four years.
- This politician was appointed the Deputy Minister of Communications in the year 1997 and a year later, he was elected as the Minister of Communications. The leader continued to serve in this position for the next three years.
- During the same period, he was the Chairman of the ‘National Communications Authority’ too.
- Mahama continued his post as a representative of Bole/Bamboi Constituency, after he was re-elected in the year 2000.
- This leader was appointed the Minority Parliamentary Spokesman for Communications in the year 2001, a role in which he continued for four years.
- The following year, he served as the Director of Communications for the ‘National Democratic Congress’ (NDC) and also a member of the ‘International Observers’ team, which was chosen to ensure that the ‘Zimbabwe’s Parliamentary Elections’ takes place smoothly.In 2003, this politician joined the pan-African parliament as one of its members and chaired the ‘West-African Caucus’.
- In 2004, he was again re-elected to the office as a representative of the Bole/Bamboi Constituency.He was then elected as the Minority Spokesman for Foreign Affairs in the year 2005.
- In 2009, he was elected as the Vice-President of Ghana and continued in this position for three more years, till he was elected the President of the country.
- During this period, he also chaired the ‘National Economic Management Team’ and was also engaged with organizations such as the ‘Armed Forces Council of Ghana’, ‘Decentralisation and Implementation Committee’ and the ‘Police Council of Ghana’.
- On 24th July 2012, he took office as the President of Ghana, following the death of the former president John Atta Mills, and is currently the President of Ghana.
- In 2014, he got associated with the ‘Economic Community of West African States’ (ECOWAS), and also chaired the ‘High-Level African Trade Committee’ (HATC) of the ‘African Union’ (AU).
Mahama committed, as the President of Ghana, to strive toward implementing Ghana’s aspirational agenda called the ‘Better Ghana Agenda.’ He consistently worked on this objective to make important reforms in the country.
Achievements & awards
- This leader was felicitated with an honorary doctorate in the sphere of Public Administration by the ‘Ekiti State University’, Nigeria.
- He was also honoured with a ‘Friendship Medal’ by the government of Cuba, for his support towards Cuba.
- Dramani has also been bestowed with the ‘Daniel Award’ by the ‘Assemblies of God’ group of Ghana.
- He has received the ‘African Servant Leadership Award’ from the ‘Graduate School of Governance and Leadership’.
- In 2013, he was awarded with the ‘Africa Award’ for ‘Excellence in Food Security and Poverty Reduction’ by the ‘Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa’ (FARA).
- This political leader is also closely associated with the ‘Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.This leader was also felicitated by the ‘Great Cross od the National order’ by the Benin President Yaji Boni. This is the utmost honour in Benin.
Personal life & legacy
- John Dramani is married to Lordina Dramani and the couple is blessed with seven children.
- It’s believed that the president of Ghana can communicate in different languages such as English, Ga, Dagbani, Akan, Hausa and Gonja.
- He has written many articles, essays and columns in newspapers and has also authored a book titled ‘My First Coup d’État and Other True Stories from the Lost Decades of Africa’, in the year 2012.
- He himself being a farmer advocates the use of technology in cultivation process.
John Mahama Net worth 2021
He has an estimated net worth of $900 million.