MTN SIM card registration is a directive from government through the Minister of Communications, Ursula Owusu-Ekuful.
What Is The Purpose Of MTN SIM Registration
MTN SIM card registration exercise was initiated to stop fraudulent activities. Also to monitor and track people who are engaged in criminal activities.
Furthermore, the directive is also to assist the government to know the accurate number of valid SIMs registered on the network. It is also to enable the National Communication Authority to gain access to accurate data to regulate activities of the telecommunication sector.
Finally, it will also allow MTN to build a better demographic of the MTN customer base. However, it will give a comprehensive statistics about the total number of subscribers in Ghana.
What Are The Requirements For MTN SIM Registration And SIM Updating
- The minimum age for the MTN SIM card registration is 15 years.
- Old and new MTN subscribers are to provide Ghana card in other to be register.
- However, for business such as MTN SIM vendors to register sim cards in bulk, the operators are to verify the business registration documents. Moreover, these documents are verified with the Registrar General’s Department.
Starting And Ending Date For The Sim Registration
MTN sim card registration exercise begun on October 1st, 2021 and ends on March 31st, 2022. However, the re-registration of sims is to be conducted within six months. Moreover, individuals who are not able to register their sim within the stipulated dates will have their sim cards blocked.
How To Register And Update Your MTN Sim
Old subscribers are to dial *404# or also use the sim registration app. The MTN sim registration app can be downloaded from the google play store or apple store. Follow the steps below the have your sim connected to your Ghana Card.
- Dial the MTN SIM registration short code *404#
- Enter your Ghana Card Pin which includes letters, figures without hyphens (-)
- Also confirm your Ghana Card Pin
- Afterwards, enter your surname and first name
- Then enter your date of birth (Format: DD/MM/YY)
- Similarly, enter your gender (male or female)
- Afterwards, confirm the details you have entered and then submit
- You will receive a notification containing your unique code
- Finally, visit any MTN office near you with your unique code to finalize the process
How Many Sims Can I Register In My Name
MTN users can however register a total number of ten sim cards with their Ghana card. However, foreigners can also register a total of three sims.