If you want to work as a teacher in Ghana, you must first complete your education at one of the country’s accredited colleges. The National Policy on Education includes this as one of its mandates. As a result, understanding how to apply for a teacher training college in Ghana is critical.
The teachers training college was established in order to develop human resources and meet the growing need for instructors in schools. Teacher education in Ghana is treated very seriously, and it is tailored to fulfill the educational demands of the system.
Ghana has created institutions to prepare teachers to deal with the ever-changing needs for basic education as they have evolved over time. As a result, these trainers must be aware of the policies, processes, and provisions in place to assist them in carrying out their responsibilities efficiently.
What are the qualifications you need for Teacher Training?
Despite the fact that the country has a plethora of educational institutions, entrance to any of them is not guaranteed. As a result, before filling out any of the teacher training college applications, make sure you meet the entrance standards. The following are the general requirements for entrance to the teacher education program:
- You must pass at least six subjects if you have a WASSCE. These include English Language and Mathematics, as well as a C6 in any three of the six disciplines relevant to your program of choice.
- You must pass at least six subjects, including English language and mathematics, if you have an SSCE. Three of your six subjects must be directly relevant to your chosen program.
- Is D7 accepted by institutions of education? It all depends on the credential you’re applying with. A credit pass in WASSCE corresponds to grades from A1 to C6, whereas a credit pass in SSCE corresponds to grades from A1 to D7. As a result, if your SSCE grade is D7, you may be considered for admission.
How To Apply
Based on the prospectus for teacher training colleges, the first thing you should do is visit the official admission portal. Once there, follow the following steps:
- Fill out the application form completely and accurately. This includes the photo on your passport. The passport must be in JPEG format with a file size of no more than 40 KB.
- To store your application form and return to it later to amend it, click the ‘Save and Continue Later’ icon.
- To finish your online application, click ‘Submit,’ and then click the ‘Print Form’ option to print the Confirmation Page. Keep the confirmation page you printed safe.
- To check your admission status and print your admission letter, you’ll need the application form number listed on it.
Please keep in mind that you must print two copies of your confirmation pages and include your result slips with them. Include any other important documents and mail them to the training college to which you are applying.
What qualifications do you need to teach in Ghana?
A bachelor’s degree is the minimum teaching qualification for Ghanaian primary school teachers. The goal of the update was to increase capacity and improve teacher education quality in order to meet current and future educational problems.
Courses offered at teacher training colleges in Ghana
Applicants should familiarize themselves with the courses provided before applying to the teaching training institution to see if they are related to their passion and preference. Applicants should not wait until the teacher training admission list is released to find out if they have been accepted.
The National Teaching Council of Principals of the various Colleges of Education has listed the various programs to be studied under the new reform policy. The courses offered at teachers training colleges are:
- B.Ed Early Childhood Development
- B.Ed Technical/ Vocational
- B.Ed French
- B.Ed Mathematics/ Science
- B.Ed Primary Education
- B.Ed Agricultural Science
- B.Ed English & Arabic
- B.Ed English & Ghanaian Language
- B.Ed Geography & History
- B.Ed Home Economics
- B.Ed ICT & Science
- B.Ed P.E & Science
- B. Ed RME & Music
- B.Ed Visual Arts
- B.Ed ICT & Mathematics
Prestigious Training Colleges in Ghana
If you’re still undecided about which college to apply to, consider any of the following institutes of higher learning:
- Evangelical Presbyterian College of Education,
- Amedzofe Evangelical Presbyterian College of Education,
- Bimbilla Foso College of Education, Assin Foso.
- Gambaga College of Education, Gambaga (newly absorbed in 2016)
- Gbewaa College of Education, Pusiga constituency, Bawku Municipal District
- Holy Child College of Education, Sekondi-Takoradi
- Jasikan College of Education, Jasikan
- Kibi Presbyterian College of Education, Kibi
- Komenda College of Education, Kommenda, Ghana
- Mampong Technical College of Education, Mampong
- Mount Mary College of Education, Somanya
- Nusrat Jahan Ahmadiyya College of Education, Wa
- Our Lady of Apostles (OLA) College of Education, Cape Coast
- Offinso College of Education, Offinso
- Peki College of Education, Peki
- Presbyterian Women’s College of Education, Aburi
- Presbyterian College of Education,
- Akropong–Akuapem Seventh-Day Adventist (SDA) College of Education, Asokore