A City Mayor is an elected leader that runs the local affairs of a city. In this article, we will be talking about who the current Accra Mayor is and his responsibilities to the City.
Table of Contents
Who is the Accra Mayor?
The current Accra Mayor is known to be Elizabeth Sackey. She was nominated by the President of Ghana, President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo. Elizabeth Sackey was the former Deputy Greater Accra Regional Minister.
Madam Elizabeth Sackey took over from Mohammed Nii Adjei Sowah. He has been in office since 2017. She was the former Member of Parliament for the Okaikwei North on the ticket of the NPP.
Madam Elizabeth Sackey was born on 6th May, 1958. Furthermore, she is from Asere-Accra in the Greater Accra Region. In 2003, she obtained a certificate in Marketing. She also worked as a banker with the Ghana Commercial Bank (GCB) as a Chief Clerk before becoming a Member of Parliament (MP). Moreover, the is married with four children.
Madam Elizabeth Sackey’s name was on the list of the Metropolitan, Municipal and District Chief Executives (MMDCE). This was released by the Minister for Local Government, Dan Botwe on Sunday, September 19, 2021.
She was nominated as the Mayor of Accra and was later confirmed. She became the first female to hold that position.
What Are The Duties Of The Mayor?
The duties and responsibilities of the Mayor includes the following;
- To preside over council meetings.
- Provide leadership to council.
- To represent the municipality at official functions.
- Also, to carry out the duties of the Head of Council.
- Furthermore, to perform duties of a member of council.
- The Mayor also serve as a member of county council. Finally, is required to attend all regular and special meetings of county council. This also include any standing committees to which he/she may be appointed.
Read Also; Adams Mahama Biography, Career And Net Worth