Sam Neill wife: How many times has Sam Neill married? Sam Neill is an award-winning New Zealand actor known for his starring roles in major films as well as his extensive career in television, theatre, and more.
Here are some key facts about Sam Neill:
- Full Name: Nigel John Dermot Neill
- Born: September 14, 1947 (age 75) in Omagh, Northern Ireland
- Nationality: New Zealand
- Breakout Role: Damien Thorn in Omen III: The Final Conflict (1981)
- Other Notable Films: Jurassic Park, The Piano, Event Horizon, Hunt for the Wilderpeople
- TV Shows: Reilly, Ace of Spies, The Tudors, Peaky Blinders
- Awards: Appointed Distinguished Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit (2006), Emmy Award, Golden Globe nomination
- Personal Life: Married to Noriko Watanabe since 1993, 2 children
Table of Contents
Who is Sam Neill?
Sam Neill was born Nigel John Dermot Neill on September 14, 1947, in Omagh, Northern Ireland. His family moved to New Zealand in 1954 when he was 7 years old.
In New Zealand, Neill attended the Anglican boys’ boarding school Christ’s College in Christchurch. He went on to study English literature at the University of Canterbury.
Neill’s acting career began on the stage, performing with the New Zealand National Film Unit in 1977. His breakthrough film role came in 1981 when he portrayed Damien Thorn in Omen III: The Final Conflict.
His major Hollywood roles include Dr. Alan Grant in Jurassic Park (1993) and its sequels, Charles Bromley in Dead Calm (1989), Walter Reilly in Event Horizon (1997), and Alisdair Stewart in The Hunt for Red October (1990).
Other notable films include A Cry in the Dark (1988), The Piano (1993), Bicentennial Man (1999), and Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016). On television, Neill has starred in Reilly, Ace of Spies (1983), The Tudors (2007), and Peaky Blinders (2013-2014).
Neill married make-up artist Noriko Watanabe in 1989 after divorcing his first wife Lisa Harrow. He has two children.
In 2006, Neill was appointed Distinguished Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit for his contributions to film. He continues to act in both big budget movies and independent projects. Now in his 70s, Neill remains one of New Zealand’s most renowned actors.
Sam Neill wife: How many times has Sam Neill married?
Based on my research, actor Sam Neill has been married twice:
- In 1981, he married Lisa Harrow, a British-born New Zealand actress. They were married for about 5 years before divorcing in 1989.
- In 1993, he married Noriko Watanabe, a make-up artist from New Zealand. They met on the set of the 1989 film Dead Calm. Sam and Noriko are still married today and have one daughter together, Elena, born in 1991.
So in summary, Sam Neill has been married twice total – first to Lisa Harrow from 1981 to 1989, and then to Noriko Watanabe from 1993 to present day. His second marriage to Noriko has lasted over 25 years so far. Sam Neill is a prolific 75 year old actor from New Zealand who has starred in major Hollywood films like Jurassic Park as well as critically acclaimed dramas and TV shows. Known for his versatility, he continues to act in both blockbusters and indie movies today. Neill is considered a national treasure in his home country.