It’s the season of harmattan again where everywhere is covered with dust, our wet clothes drying up early, many people suffering from cold among others. Due to that xorlali.com has gathered some astonishing tips to deal with the Harmattan.
10 Tips To Deal With The Harmattan.
1. Keep the skin and hair healthy by applying oily creams at regular intervals, especially on hands and feet that are exposed daily.
2. Eat hot food. Eating hot soup is the best answer to the cold weather. It does not only warm you up but fills your stomach. Coffee and cocoa are also good at warming you up, but they don’t do quite a good job of filling your stomach.
3. It is also advisable that people improve on their hygienic pattern during this period. In the course of patronizing hawkers, fruits, vegetables, and other such items must be thoroughly washed before eating to prevent foodborne diseases.
4. Those that are allergic to cold should endeavor to go for thick clothing that can cover them up. The skin can be kept healthy through the regular use of appropriate jelly products.
5. It is advisable to cover yourself well and wear thick cloth during this period so as to keep your body warm and protect yourself from cold. The dry, cold and dusty wind associated with Harmattan also triggers sickle cell crises in affected individuals.
READ ALSO: HEALTH BENEFITS OF OIL
6. Stay hydrated. This just might be the sole most important tip to beat the dry season. The season itself is called ‘dry’, so our focus should be on staying moist and hydrated as much as possible.
7. Keeping a lip balm in your pocket, car, and handbag for constant applications will keep chapped, dry lips at bay.
8. Increase your intake in fruits and vegetables containing vitamin C, water and other fluid intakes.
9. It is also advisable to wear sunglasses to protect the eye from dust.
10. Avoid antiseptic soaps during this weather. Use them only when you have a skin infection it is meant to treat. Use it even then for a short period and stop.
If you are asthmatic, here are some tips to deal with the Harmattan.
1. Carry your inhalers everywhere you go.
2. Know your triggers. Stay away from them.
3. Carry a sweater, pullover, coat with you, where ever you go. Doesn’t matter if you wear a cute dress or shirt.
4. When you get an “attack” use your inhaler. Don’t try to brave the storm.
5. Get to the hospital as quickly as you can.
6. When you go to the hospital please do not join the queue. Go to the emergency room. You are a priority.
7. Carry your health insurance card so if you have to be in the hospital it will be easy and cheap.
9. If you are triggered by cold or dry air, as we are in the harmattan season, cover your nose.
10. Stay hydrated. This is not the season for if I don’t drink cold water, I don’t feel like I’ve drunk water.
Stay safe. Stay strong.